Bare-Metal Provisioning 201¶
Setup a basic cobbler server¶
Build a profile¶
Kickstart a node¶
Change the profile, re-kickstart the node¶
Cloud Provisioning 101¶
Setup a free-tier account with AWS¶
Spawn a Linux node from the AWS Console¶
Install and start up MySQL¶
Create basic relational database / tables, using a variety of field types¶
Grant and revoke privileges¶
Write (or provide, probably depends on where this fits in relation to scripting tutorial?) basic tool to insert and retrieve some data.
Spawn up second VM/MySQL install¶
Set up Master->Slave replication¶
Deliberately break and then fix replication¶
Set up Master<->Master replication¶
Introduction to percona toolkit¶
Set up Riak Cluster, modify the tool from 101 to demonstrate replication.
- Introduction to variables and their meaning. Tuning MySQL configuration (use mysqltuner.pl as a launch point?), pros and cons of various options.
- Introducing EXPLAIN and how to analyse and improve queries and schema.
- Backup options, mysqldump, LVM Snapshotting, Xtrabackup.
Do you need it? How much and why?¶
- Talk basic theory and approach in terms of Idempotency and Convergence.
- Write a bash script to install something as idempotently as possible.
- Discuss Chef and Puppet and while reflecting on the bash script.