Other places may use the phrase “Code of Conduct”, or something similar - this is essentially that.
Like the technical community as a whole, the Ops School team and community is comprised of a mixture of professionals and volunteers from all over the world, who collaborate on bettering Ops School, including mentorship, teaching and connecting people.
Diversity is one of our biggest strengths, but it can also bring increased communication challenges at times.
To that end, as you are working with others on Ops School, please keep in mind the following guidelines, which apply equally to founders, mentors, those who submit new content or ideas, and to anyone who is seeking help and guidance.
The following list isn’t exhaustive; it is intended to help all of us communicate well so that the Ops School community can work better together:
- Be welcoming, friendly, and patient.
- Be considerate.
- Be respectful.
- Be professional.
- Be careful in the words that you choose.
- When we disagree, let’s all work together to understand why.
This list applies to all forms of communication: IRC, mailing lists, and any other forum that is used involving of Ops School. Please keep in mind that:
- Your work will be used by other people, and you in turn will depend on the work of others.
- Decisions that you make will often affect others in the community.
- Disagreements happen, but should not be an excuse for poor behavior and bad manners. When disagreements do happen, let’s work together to solve them effectively and in a way that ensures that everyone understands what the disagreement was.
- People may not understand jokes, sarcasm, and oblique references in the same way that you do. Remember that and be kind to the other members of the community.
- Sexist, racist, or exclusionary comments are not welcome in Ops School.
- The strength of the community comes from all of the people in it, their wide range of backgrounds, and the contributions everyone makes. Let’s keep working together, learning from our mistakes, and making the community as awesome as it can be.